[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Board Adopts New Fee Schedule Effective 1 July 2016

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Mar 14 15:44:10 EDT 2016

On Mar 14, 2016, at 2:08 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com<mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

So I have a couple of questions…

In trying to parse the combination of the table and the text under “End Users / Assignments”,
it’s completely unclear to me what happens going forward.

Owen -

Thanks for posting these questions - it is a good reminder of how complicated
this can be for normal folks (as opposed to the myself and the staff who deal
with these matters each day.)

Currently, I have 2 ORG IDs as an artifact of ARIN accounting irregularities. (inability to treat LRSA and RSA as a single ORG)

It’s actually not accounting irregularities: each agreement represents a distinct
relationship with ARIN - many organizations find the ability to have multiple
relationships useful for various reasons (e.g. business units, different terms
from older agreements, etc.)

Some of the text seems to indicate that I have the option of no change from current billing practices.

That is correct.  If you are an end-user (or legacy holder billed as same), then
you do not experience any difference as a fee schedule change (unless you opt
to do so as discussed further below.)

You may confirm this by running the Fee estimator for the new schedule referenced in
the original announcement (available here - https://www.arin.net/fees/calculator.html)

Some of the text seems to indicate that I’m going to fee-per-ORG rather than fee-per-resource.

If you choose to do so, you will now be able to switch to a registration services plan
(the same fee schedule used by all ISPs, and including ARIN Membership)

Some of the text seems to indicate that I can choose one or the other of these.

Correct - once the new fee schedule is in effect, you may indicate that you’d like
to switch to a registration services plan (if you prefer such), and your billing will
change accordingly.

No mention is made of how any of this relates to LRSA with price increase limitations.

You will be billed accordingly to each agreement you have with ARIN, as they have
different terms and fees.  If you consolidate, you will be billed under the single RSA
that results.

Does this mean I’m going to get double-billed?

You will not.

My non-LRSA ORG-ID is currently billed $100/year and contains one resource.
My LRSA ORG-ID is currently billed $175/year and will hit $200/year in the next billing cycle (under the current scheme).

Correct.  The forthcoming fee schedule is regarding the new registration services
fees for ISPs, whereby we shift the categories to allow more IPv6 resources in each
category, as well as opening them up to end-users who prefer this type of schedule.

My LRSA ORG-ID has a contractual restriction of $25/year price increases.
My non-LRSA ORG-ID is subject to whatever form of pillaging the board chooses to engage in.

To further complicate the matter, my RSA resources are 3X-Small. My LRSA are 2X-Small.

The various sizes only matters if you switch to registrations services plan
billing, and that may not make sense for those with relatively few IP address
blocks and ASNs

So, under this new change, which outcome am I facing?

The same as you are presently paying (but per the agreement you signed,
you should be aware that the LRSA fees may increase up to $25/year)

There are things about the new structure that I like:

1. Membership for end-users included in their price.
2. Fee per ORG rather than fee per resource.
3. Potentially a return to the promised slow-ramp on fees to LRSA users.

But I’d love to hear not only which of the 5 billing possibilities above (and possibly more I haven’t thought of) ARIN will consider valid  and which would be rejected and why. I’d also like to know which one ARIN will default to if I don’t specify.

As noted above, your fees do not change as a result of the new fee schedule,
they will be as you noted earlier (and repeated again below -

My non-LRSA ORG-ID is currently billed $100/year and contains one resource.
My LRSA ORG-ID is currently billed $175/year and will hit $200/year in the next billing cycle (under the current scheme).

If you wished to, you could switch to a registration services plan, and you would be
at the 2X small for all resources combined at $500/year.  This would also cover the
registration services for all ASN that you have and would include ARIN Membership.
Again, I don’t know if it makes sense given your total resource holdings, but it will now
be an option.

Thanks! (and do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.)
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN