[ARIN-consult] [ARIN-Suggestions] New Suggestion - ACSP 2016.4 - Waiting List for 2 Byte ASNs

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Apr 2 16:42:26 EDT 2016

> On Apr 2, 2016, at 13:02, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:
>
> On 4/1/2016 1:35 PM, Robert Seastrom wrote:
>>> On Apr 1, 2016, at 11:59 AM, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm happy to write a policy proposal to start that process if others believe that would be beneficial to the community.
>> Could we start with a problem statement that describes what problem we would be solving that isn't already adequately addressed by having ASNs be 8.3-transferable number resources?
> The problem as I understand it is that ARIN will receive 2-byte ASNs as returns over time, and these ASNs have perceived or additional value to organizations compared to 4-byte ASNs.
>
> Will 8.3 ASNs transfers meet the needs of some organizations, yes. The question is what to do with the 2-byte ASNs that will end up in ARIN's inventory for various reasons.
>
> How should ARIN allocate these 2-byte ASNs?  Should they be given to the next requester, regardless of technical need for a 2-byte ASN? (What are the technical qualifications we should use if there is a specific technical need?  e.g. provides transit to more than 1 ASN?)  Should they be held in reserve?  Should ARIN hold them for some period of time before reallocating them?  Should they be put up for auction to qualified organizations?  Should they be given to the 1st organization on a wait-list for 2-byte ASNs?
>
> Andrew

A few other related issues;

Would an organization looking for a 2-byte ASN have the option to receive a 4-byte ASN in the interim?  If they did would they have to return it?

Should the waiting list be closed to organizations that already have a 2-byte ASNs?

If there is really a technical need for 2-byte ASNs, shouldn't we attempt to build an inventory of 2-byte ASNs?  One option could be some kind of incentive or amnesty program allowing organization to trade-in 2-byte ASNs and receive 4-byte ASNs in exchange, no questions asked, no justification required, or receive a wavier on fees in exchange for unused 2-byte ASNs.

Several organizations have excess ASNs that may not be used on a full-time basis, such as for test labs or temporary transitions or other projects.  But, returning temporarily unused ASNs and getting new ones when they are needed again represents an unnecessary financial burden on organizations, compared to keeping a small inventory of ASNs for such temporary uses.  However, it would seem likely that at least some 2-byte ASNs could be made available by allowing organizations to obtain new 4-byte ASNs in exchange for these ASNs used on a temporary basis.

Overall I think these issues are better handled within the Policy Development Process, as I believe technical criteria should be defined for who is eligible to receive 2-byte ASNs.  Furthermore, if we can't agree on such technical criteria, then there probably isn't a good enough reason to create a waiting list for 2-byte ASNs or otherwise treat 2-byte ASNs separately from 4-byte ASNs, and the already available option to transfer ASNs (both 2-byte and 4-byte) should be sufficient to handle the problem.

Thanks.
David Farmer                          Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE         Phone: +1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: +1-612-812-9952