[ARIN-consult] [ARIN-Suggestions] Response to Suggestion 2015.9: CONVERT IPV4 COUNTDOWN TO SCIENTIFIC NOTATION

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jul 6 20:24:56 EDT 2015

On Jul 6, 2015, at 6:55 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

> While I agree with the response given to the specific suggestion of using scientific notation, it may be useful to consider part of the value statement more as problem statement.  As the available IPv4 free pool becomes progressively more infinitesimal, representing the available free pool as /8 equivalents will become more and more problematic.

David -

Note that the actual relevance of the total IPv4 free pool counter to practical IPv4
address planning efforts will become moot during the same time period.

> The primary point being that an accurate representation of the free pool inventory will be useful even if it is in fact zero, however usefulness of the current representation, based on a /8, is degrading and almost useless at this point.

If you click on the total pool counter, the detail of the available free pool in terms of
number of address blocks of each size is provided.  To the extent that is possible to
make _any_ meaningful strategic decisions in address space management based
on the remaining IPv4 free pool (as it approaches zero), the information that would
have any relevance in that process is the detailed breakdown of address blocks and
not the total IPv4 space counter.

At the present time, we are focusing on high impact software development efforts
that are actively sought by the community,  In light of the lack of community support
for your suggestion and the fact that the information is already readily available to
those deem it to be meaningful, your suggestion was closed without further action.

We are likely to phase out the total IPv4 free pool counter and replace it with the
detailed address pool information upon hitting zero.  From that point forward, the
detailed address pool information (and potentially some public summary of the
waiting list status) is likely more meaningful to IPv4 address planning efforts of
those who have not moved onto the IPv4 transfer market or IPv6 for their network
growth needs.

Thank you,
/John

John Curran