[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation on IRR Route Validation

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Sun Apr 12 13:10:23 EDT 2015

On Apr 12, 2015, at 9:28 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> I concur. Until ARIN can resolve the open publication legal quandary
> it encountered with RPKI, it should spend not spend another cent
> developing new routing databases. Absent open publication, such
> databases are without discernible value.

RPKI may have lacked an operational gain, or borne too high a cost for deployment within organizations. When an organization fails to provide data to RPKI, RPKI has less value to all subscribers. That has no basis on whether or not a validated IRR has meaning.

RPKI is optionally used at the edge, IRR improves the central database. Totally different use case scenarios, and totally different requirements for gaining value for the user. The validated IRR has value to everyone whether you participate or not. The RPKI has value only when the source network participates.

As numerous others have pointed out, other regional IRRs have been successful in similar efforts.

FYI: sorry for not speaking up sooner. In case it isn’t obvious from this post, I vehemently support the idea of ARIN undertaking this effort to improve the ARIN IRR which I utilize at multiple organizations. Vote in favor.

--
Jo Rhett
+1 (415) 999-1798