[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation: Future Direction for the ARIN Fee Schedule

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Oct 13 00:44:29 EDT 2014

On Oct 12, 2014, at 8:45 PM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> 6) It's budget neutral.[1]  $16.5mm in annual fees based on this year's numbers is about where we're at already. The analysis shows $918k more, but ARIN has run a budget deficit the last few years (or the recent years I looked).

A minor point for clarity - I'm not certain what you mean by "budget deficit",
but will note that ARIN's operating results are in the annual and auditors
reports online - https://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/annual_rprt.html)

ARIN has had operating expenses less than revenues consistently in recent years;
per the above documents, ARIN expenses in 2013 were $453K less than revenues.
This year's budget plan <https://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/budget.html>
has ARIN with $16.96 M in expenses and $17.07 M in expected revenues.

> That's my input.  From reading the document, it's clear to me the Board has finally taken to heart the need to remove the IPv6 disincentive that it has ignored for 15 years. That makes me happy.

To my knowledge, the ARIN Board hasn't expressed any view on future fee schedule
direction, although they did charter the Fee Structure Review panel to consider
and document a range of options to aid in discussion of future direction by the
community.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran