[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation: Future Direction for the ARIN Fee Schedule

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Oct 12 22:03:40 EDT 2014

On Oct 12, 2014, at 1:53 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> The point of a
>> consultation is to get input from the community, so I take no position
>> other than to be open to any proposal that folks wish to make.
>
> Good. As this discussion wears on, I would ask you to keep this very
> thing in mind -- that it is not your role here to tell the community
> what the range of fair payment structures is, or whether that range is
> larger or smaller than we think. Rather, it is our opportunity to tell
> you.
>
> Right?

Incorrect.  It is specifically my role to facilitate the discussion of any
proposals brought forth; this includes yours, those in the Fee Structure
report, and any others that may appear. For example, it would be helpful to
get more insight into what exactly you are suggesting, as your statement that

> "I honestly don't care about the exact formula. Pick one that's convenient."

doesn't really allow the community to understand what you are proposing (i.e.
it could be linear or algorithmic/logarithmic, with narrow range or wide...)

It is the ARIN community's role to discuss the merits and concerns with each
proposal, so that the Finance Committee of the ARIN Board of Trustees can then
consider if any change in direction is needed with ample insight into the
variety of community views when it comes to ARIN's future free structure.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO