[ARIN-consult] Consultation on New Experimental Allocation

Emile Aben emile.aben at ripe.net
Fri Aug 8 05:05:05 EDT 2014

On 07/08/14 19:08, John Springer wrote:
> I support the use of this reserved space for this experiment
> because I think the information derived will be useful regardless
> of what is learned.
>
> What is the timeframe of the experiment?

Hi John,

My initial thoughts on that would be that we'd at least run it for a
couple of weeks initially and then publish results about that.

I could see the utility in keeping it around for longer, because the
usability of longer-then-/24 prefixes out of 23.128/10 might change as
more address space out of this block gets in use.

I think Owen brought up an important bit here: The address space used
for this must be vacated when need for it arises. We're committed to
do this on short notice, so not to impede or delay ARIN delegating the
remaining bits in 23.128/10.

If we don't receive a signal to stop earlier, we could define a
low-water mark as safeguard: Say we stop the experiment and vacate the
address space within 1 working day, once there is less than a /18 left
out of 23.128/10.

I see greatest utility in doing this on a
'run-until-right-before-space-is-needed'-basis, but please advise.

best regards,
Emile Aben
RIPE NCC