[ARIN-consult] Consultation on the Future Use of the ARIN Discuss Mailing List

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Apr 9 15:34:58 EDT 2014

On Apr 9, 2014, at 3:16 PM, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:

>> ARIN is seeking a place to engage our community in dialogue on important
>> topics such as Internet governance, particular in light of the recent
>> announcement regarding transition of NTIA's IANA stewardship role.
>
> arin-discuss seems like an appropriate place for these discussions.

Andrew -

  Thanks for the feedback on this question.

>> Additionally, ARIN recognizes that its services and practices affect
>> those in the community who are not members. Opening the arin-discuss
>> list would enable greater community input on these issues, and reduce
>> non-policy related discussion on arin-ppml.
>>
>> Does the community support the use of arin-discuss for both global
>> Internet governance matters and ARIN governance and non-policy
>> discussions? Please provide us your opinion about opening the ARIN
>> Discuss mailing list.
>
> I perceive very little downside to opening the list to non-members,
> especially non-members who are holders of ARIN resources.
>
> How many members orgs does ARIN currently serve?
> How many non-member orgs does ARIN currently serve?

 As of December 2013, the total number of Org IDs with directly
 registered IPv4 address blocks = 26,148
 Of those:                         4,520 are ARIN members
 Which means:                     21,628 are non-member organizations

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO