[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Oct 31 14:51:13 EDT 2012

On Oct 31, 2012, at 11:46 AM, David Farmer wrote:
> You are incorrect, their is quite a bit of stuff out there in IPv6 land approximately 15% to 20% of our (University of Minnesota) traffic, to the tune of almost 500Mbs daily peak, is using IPv6 now.  A large majority, would guess 55% to 65%, but no mean all of our network is IPv6 enabled yet.  I am cautiously optimistic that we can get to 30% to 40%, maybe more, of or traffic doing IPv6 by this time next year.  I'm hoping to have closer to 80% or more of our network with IPv6 enabled by then and for continued growth of IPv6 by content providers.

Actually, you have hit on a point which is valid, but does not make the Internet more attractive to users. There's a lot of torrent traffic on IPv6. I've be curious if you could post aggregated service counters, because besides some DNS and torrent, there's just not much you can do.

Now, let's talk about what works on v6:

gmail doesn't work on v6
google plus is broken on v6
facebook is broken on v6
yahoo services are almost entirely broken on v6
no banks in the US are available in v6
…etc etc etc.

> I think the best way for ARIN to do this is to have a low but sustainable and consistent fee structure for IPv6 allocations and assignments.  Discounts and other schemes that are not sustainable in the long-run do not provide the reliability that people are looking for so they can build their business models for IPv6 services.

Low fees for something nobody wants encourages nothing. Giving people money in their hands to deploy v6 might. (or might not)

--
Jo Rhett