[ARIN-consult] discounting registration fees for IPv6 assignments

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Oct 30 17:07:16 EDT 2012

"Jesse D. Geddis" <jesse at la-broadband.com> writes:

> I wonder if we can get to a point where every end user has their own
> block that can be ported like a phone number from carrier to
> carrier. I think we can get there. From a technology standpoint I
> don't see any reason why that isn't possible today.

Various schemes (my personal favorite being draft-odell-8+8 [*]) have
been proposed over the years for separation of locators (routing) and
identifiers (hosts).  Institutionalizing this separation would have
enabled the sort of address portability you suggest above.  None ever
went very far, unfortunately...  and that ship sailed a decade and a
half ago.

Absent this separation, as Bill pointed out, the default-free zone is
ever-growing and hopefully we stay on the right side of Moore's Law in
terms of our ability to hold, propagate and converge a full RIB.
Every bit of (significant, non-aggregated) routing information needs
to be carried in every corner of the network no matter how locally
irrelevant.

With the current routing technology, a (permanent, portable) prefex
per end user is not possible.  It does not scale.

-r

[*] No reading list for "the Internet that never was" would be
complete without citations to RFC 1955 and
http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/nimrod/archdoc_v4.txt