[ARIN-consult] discounting registration fees for IPv6 assignments

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Oct 28 16:22:15 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to state for the record that I would officially support a policy proposal that offered a discount period for IPv6 registrations in order to increase uptake.
>
> …except that we tried that experiment for, what, eight or ten years?
> So if people weren't motivated by the discount-all-the-way-to-free, nor
> by the phasing-out of the discount over several years, do you really
> think they'd be motivated by it being discounted _again_, when
> they weren't the first time?

At what point were any of my three end-user orgs able to register for
addresses at a discount? Never. That's when. The discounts were
eliminated just before we finally gave up on the idea that multihomed
end users would get their addresses from ISPs and instituted something
approaching sane number policy for IPv6.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004