[ARIN-consult] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

Jesse D. Geddis jesse at la-broadband.com
Thu Oct 25 22:23:28 EDT 2012

This is in regards to the fee schedule change.

I think this looks good, however, I think there may perhaps be an unintended consequence.

https://www.arin.net/fees/proposed_fee_schedule.html

For companies who are XX-Small and X-Small with IPv4 all likely had free IPv6 allocations of a /32 or larger. If my recollection serves me correctly, nothing smaller than a /32 was being offered for a considerable amount of time. Would this not inadvertently double or quadruple their fees?

I think this has been discussed on some level and the question was asked "how many fit in this category". I don't recall an answer being given. I think this is an appropriate standard overall, however, I think some leniency should be given to the early adoptors who could not receive any less than a /32. Say people who received IPv6 allocations up to X date are billed based on their IPv4 size rather than their IPv6 size until their IPv4 or IPv6 allocations grow. At which point their "grandfathering" would cease.

Thoughts?

--
Jesse D. Geddis
LA Broadband LLC