[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Open Suggestion

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 18 17:49:44 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2012, at 5:24 PM, "William Herrin" <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> What about the TTL? Can that be set via the API?
>
> No, it is not presently available in the API; ergo, there is
> no way to workaround this lack in the user interface.

I wonder if it wouldn't be good for the API to simply accept standard
formatted lines for a bind configuration, validate the lines for
correctness in a zone file, validate the name as something the user is
authorized to set and then accept it as sent without trying to break
out the bits. With flexibility in the API, one might do all sorts of
nifty things. For example, I could install a glue record,
"ns.224.33.199.in-addr.arpa IN A 70.184.240.82", then install
"224.33.199.in-addr.arpa IN NS ns.224.33.199.in-addr.arpa" and gain
myself a slight efficiency boost on the reverse lookups.

It's not particularly urgent that I squeeze out more efficiency from
my reverse lookups, but if the API was flexible enough, I *could*.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004