[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Open Suggestion

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 18 17:23:55 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Samuel Weiler <weiler at tislabs.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, ARIN wrote:
>> We note this functionality is available through ARIN's RESTful Services
>> but not through ARIN Online directly.
>
> I don't understand the above note in the context of Randy's suggestion.
> Clarification would be welcome.

Making bulk changes is implicit in the having an API.

What about the TTL? Can that be set via the API?

) Instead of my having to tick the resources for which i want
) to upload DS and then upload each DS, how about i
) upload the set of DS RRs and you figure it out?

I read this to be a complaint about interface clumsiness. Randy wants
something like what the SSL certificate folks do where you copy and
paste the CSR into a box, it pulls out the domain and related
information and then prompts you: "You meant this, right?" Presumably
anybody updating DS records already has them in the standard notation.
Why make him pull out bits and pieces to poke them in special boxes?
That's the part computers are good at.

On the other hand, interface improvements are a cycle that stops only
when the customer isn't willing to pay more. I gather Randy isn't
offering to gather a group of folks to front the money for this.

Since ARIN has built a webapi, I wonder if the community wouldn't be
better served by leaving the impetus in place for folks who want
particular functionality to build it. I'll bet Randy can find someone
to script up API calls from a list of DS records a whole lot more
cheaply than ARIN can build and test a hardened interface.

So put me down as a definite maybe.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004