[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Nov 14 14:27:41 EST 2012

On Nov 14, 2012, at 12:44 PM, Jeremy Anthony Kinsey <jer at mia.net>
 wrote:

> "Fees I think should be more directly related to resources consumed."

Be very carefully what you wish for...

The vast majority of organizations (end-user or ISP) making use of ARIN
services do not need to contact the registration services helpdesk nor
the financial team in any given year, they don't attend the twice annual
meetings, and they may not even participate in the number resource policy
development process.

They simply wish to make use of their number resources, to be shown as
the listed resource holder in the registry, and to have reverse DNS work.

As it turns out, the actual effort related to providing those services is
_not_ proportional to the number of IP addresses, but rather to the address
block entry itself.  (Folks should be very thankful for such, since if there
ever were any costs actual proportional to number of addresses, no one
would ever be able to afford to be issued an IPv6 address block... :-)

So, the reality is that each issued IPv4 and IPv6 block (and to some
extent each issued AS number) imputes very similar costs on ARIN as an
organization.  Note also that if we really wanted to be fair regarding
costs, we should treat ISPs via the same model as end-users, and the
annual maintenance fees per block would be higher due to the lack of
the indirect subsidy of these costs by the ISP members, and the costs
for a typical ISP would drop significantly.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO