[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Nov 9 16:19:16 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM, paul vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
> that having been said, we are past "ipv6 launch" and v6 is now available
> full time from the deepest and
> hottest content providers on the internet. a network operator who turns
> on ipv6 will see significant traffic. v6 is no longer an experiment or a
> toy, and its inevitability is no longer debatable.
>
> continuing a fee waiver to support something that has clearly got legs,
> can be argued to shift arin's cost burden onto non-ipv6 adopters, for no
> imaginable advantage in terms of the rate of v6 deployment.

Hi Paul,

You know that I have great respect for you. But it is because of
IPv6's eventual inevitability that I believe it entirely reasonable to
shift ARIN's cost burden on to non-IPv6 adopters until IPv6 has enough
oomph behind it to pay for itself. Which it doesn't today. And won't
for a while yet.

There are half a dozen credible reasons an organization may elect not
to pursue IPv6 this year. Why permit ARIN fees to be one of them?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004