[ARIN-consult] PDP Consultation Reminder

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 26 23:04:14 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> while some of our worst have enjoyed strong
>>> supermajorities.
>>
>> This is the more interesting statement. I'm actually very curious
>> which policies you would identify here.
>
> 2007-23 (I'll note that at the time it seemed like a good idea and I supported this one).

Really? There was nothing even vaguely close to agreement on any other
approach. Still isn't. Runout wasn't going to wait for us. And if I
recall the dissent, it was more in preference to some particular
alternative rather than objections to this approach per se.

This policy brought the IANA free pool to an orderly end where nobody
accused anybody else of gaming the final allocation. Imagine if APNIC
had requested the last two /8's and they genuinely were the *last* two
/8's! I'm not sure how 2007-23 could be viewed as bad policy, even
with 20/20 hindsight.

> 2009-8 (same situation as above).

I continue to think this is wise policy. It *should* be harder to get
addresses from the remaining free pool than through transfer. That has
encouraged the transfer process to develop before we hit rock bottom
emergency all gone.

> 2012-3 (maybe a controversial selection, but there
> was little opposition in the AC in spite of significant
> opposition on PPML)

I'll give you this one. I think the policy was reasonable but the
community consent wasn't there. It should have gone back in the drawer
for a cycle or two and then come back out when the idea was no longer
startling. It shouldn't have passed by a majority let alone a
supermajority.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004