[consult] "Removal of WHOIS Query Result Limit" revisited

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Mar 23 16:43:21 EDT 2007

> Assuming there is will to look further into IRIS, my suggestion is to
> use this as a trial balloon for IRIS.  I.e., IRIS clients with
> approoriate credentials get un-capped results.

IRIS is a protocol based on HTML. Not a search application.

In order to use this, ARIN staff would have to learn XML, learn IRIS,
build a better search application that accepts queries via IRIS, and
then develop an IRIS client that runs on Windows, Mac OS/X and Unix.
This is a multi-year 6 figure project and it still doesn't address the
real issues which are illicit copying of the whois database and the
functionality of the search engine that sits behind the scenes.

--Michael Dillon