[consult] Call for Consultation: ARIN WHOIS Directory Services

michael.c.loevner at verizon.com michael.c.loevner at verizon.com
Wed Jul 25 10:25:38 EDT 2007

Reposting from ARIN discuss:

For example, I personally would like to see the following (not picking on
AT&T, just an easy example to use):

1. Entering "12.0.0.0/8" returns only the record for that exact CIDR
block, if 12.0.0.0/9 were entered in this fashion, it would provide no
results.

2. Entering ">!12.0.0.0/8" returns all records for 12.0.0.0/8 and all
network within subdelegated from 12.0.0.0/8. This query returns far too
many records to be of much use (to me, and I think it crashed my browser)
and this can already be done with nethandles, but my next example
currently cannot.

3.  Entering ">!12.111.0.0/16" returns all networks falling within the
12.111.0.0/16 CIDR boundary.  Since 12.111.0.0/16 is not a currently
registered address block, this adds a new level of functionality that
would be appreciated, and provides me with a list of a couple hundred
records rather than the unmanageable number that comes up from querying
the whole block.

4.  Also, if I entered ">!12.0.0.0/7", I would like to see all
reassignments of both 12.0.0.0/8 and 13.0.0.0/8 as well as the records for
both 12.0.0.0/8 and 13.0.0.0/8.

The CIDR queries should allow us to query a portion of a registered block
as well as across multiple registered blocks.  The only caveat is the
number of records returned possbly bogging down the database.  Maybe there
should there be a limit on the number of records or the length of the
prefix that can be queried.

-Mike

"Member Services" <info at arin.net>
Sent by: consult-bounces at arin.net
07/23/2007 11:04 AM

consult at arin.net
cc

Subject
[consult] Call for Consultation: ARIN WHOIS Directory Services

ARIN received a suggestion to allow CIDR style queries to the ARIN WHOIS
directory service. In addition to this enhancement, ARIN would like to
explore other possible modifications that the community desires. ARIN
requests that you provide specific feedback as to what additional WHOIS
enhancements would benefit you and why they are needed.

Discussion on this list will close at noon ET 27 July. A poll on the
topic will be conducted beginning Tuesday, 31 July. Only subscribers on
the consult at arin.net list when the poll opens will be eligible to
participate. Poll results will be publicly available and will be used by
the ARIN President to help determine what course of action, if any, ARIN
should take regarding the subject.

The ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process documentation is available
at:
http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/acsp.html

We welcome community-wide participation.  Please address any process
questions to info at arin.net.

Regards,

Member Services