[arin-announce] ARIN Bits: March 2019

ARIN info at arin.net
Thu Mar 14 09:13:17 EDT 2019

ARIN Bits: March 2019

In this issue:

**Unveiling a New ARIN.net**
**ARIN 43 is Right Around the Corner**
**Registration Opening Soon for ARIN Lunch by the Numbers**
**ARIN Board Suspends Waiting List Issuance Policy**
**IANA Issues /23 to ARIN**
**Current Policy Proposals Under Discussion**
**Featured Policy Requirement**
**Tip from Registration Services Department**
**Tip from Financial Services Department**
**Customer and Member Statistics as of 28 February 2019**
**Four Security Services You Should Be Using**
**Stay Engaged with ARIN**

**Unveiling a New ARIN.net**

ARIN is excited to unveil our newly-redesigned https://www.arin.net.
This was a major initiative and we are excited to announce the new site
is live. We began the redesign process in October 2017, and we sought
community input every step of the way. Check out Hollis Kara’s recent
blog post
(https://teamarin.net/2019/02/27/getting-ready-for-the-big-reveal/) for
more details about how community input shaped our new www.arin.net, and
be sure to take some time to poke around the site. We have a feedback
button at the top of every page, and we’re curious to know what you
think. Thank you to everyone who provided valuable input; we’re very
proud of this new site we built together.

**ARIN 43 is Right Around the Corner**

We will be hosting our next Public Policy and Members Meeting, ARIN 43,
in Bridgetown, Barbados from 7-10 April, and CaribNOG 17 will
immediately follow in the same location. There’s still time to register
for the meeting, and if you can’t make it in person be sure to register
as a remote participant. We provide access to a webcast, live
transcript, and chat function.

Register for ARIN 43: https://www.arin.net/ARIN43
Learn more about CaribNOG: https://www.caribnog.org/meetings/caribnog17

We are pleased to co-host the second CTU/ARIN Public Policy Group
Meeting along with the Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU). The
theme for this event is "Caribbean Priorities for the Global Internet."
This meeting will take place on Thursday, 11 April following ARIN 43. Be
sure to register in advance on the meeting’s website.

Register for CTU/ARIN Public Policy Group Meeting:
https://www.arin.net/barbados

We also recently announced the 13 Fellows that will be joining us at
ARIN 43. Be sure to say “hello!” to our new group of Fellows. We
congratulate those who were selected, and we thank all who applied.
Applications for a fellowship to ARIN 44 will be opening soon.

ARIN 43 Fellows: https://www.arin.net/announcements/20190226/

**Registration Opening Soon for ARIN Lunch by the Numbers**

We will be opening registration soon for our next two ARIN Lunch by the
Numbers events.

- Providence, RI: 14 May
- Boston, MA: 15 May

These lunches are tailored to ARIN customer organizations that may not
have much visibility into the inner workings of ARIN. During lunch, ARIN
staff present an overview of current ARIN activities and services.

We will have a Registration Services Help Desk at each event, opening at
10:30 AM and available throughout the lunch, to answer any questions
about your resources or pending requests. Two individuals per ARIN
customer (i.e., an organization holding resources directly issued from
ARIN) are welcome to attend. Look out for registration opening soon.

**ARIN Board Suspends Waiting List Issuance Policy**

At their business meeting in January 2019, the ARIN Board of Trustees,
in light of the potential misuse of number resources under NRPM section
4.1.8 (Unmet Requests), suspended issuance of number resources per
Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM) section 4.1.8.2. (Fulfilling Unmet
Needs), and referred NRPM section 4.1.8 to the ARIN Advisory Council for
their recommendation. We will complete open transactions to waiting list
organizations where IPv4 addresses have already been approved pending
fee payment.

We will continue to accept and process IPv4 requests according to NRPM
4.1.8, and organizations may be added to the waiting list while waiting
list issuance is suspended. All future IPv4 address space issued under
this policy is subject to the outcome of pending policy review. View the
Board meeting minutes and NRPM 4.1.8 for more information.

January 2019 Board Meeting Minutes:
https://www.arin.net/about_us/bot/bot2019_0116.html

NRPM 4.1.8: https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four18

**IANA Issues /23 to ARIN**

On 1 March 2019, ARIN received a total of /23 of IPv4 address space (two
/24 blocks) from the IANA in accordance with the Global Policy for Post
Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by the IANA. The full text of that
policy is available at:
https://www.icann.org/en/resources/policy/global-addressing/allocation-ipv4-post-exhaustion

We will hold this IP address space until the suspension of the Waiting
List Issuance policy is lifted. Please refer to
https://www.arin.net/announcements/20190207_waitlist/ for more details.

**Current Policy Proposals Under Discussion**

On 7 March 2019, the ARIN Board of Trustees published a new version of
the Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM) version 2019.1. The following
new policies were then implemented:

- ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-regional ASN Transfers
- ARIN-2018-3: Remove Reallocation Requirements for Residential Market
Assignments
- ARIN-2018-4: Clarification on Temporary Sub-Assignments
- NRPM Cleanup (formerly ARIN-prop-255)
- Modify 8.3 and 8.4 for Clarity (formerly ARIN-prop-256)

View NRPM version 2019.1: https://www.arin.net/announcements/20190307_nrpm/

Find the full text and status of current policy discussions at
https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/ and subscribe to
ARIN-PPML (Public Policy Mailing List) to voice your opinions.
Membership is not required to participate!

The following proposals are currently under discussion:

Recommended Draft Policies:

- ARIN-2018-2: Clarification to ISP Initial Allocation and Permit
Renumbering

Draft Policies:

- ARIN-2017-12: POC Notification and Validation Upon Reassignment or
Reallocation
- ARIN-2018-5: Disallow Third-party Organization Record Creation
- ARIN-2018-6: Clarify reassignment requirements in 4.2.3.7.1
- ARIN-2019-1: Clarify Section 4 IPv4 Request Requirements
- ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction Requirements
- ARIN-2019-3: Update 4.10 – IPv6 Deployment Block Requirements

**Featured Policy Requirement**

8.4. Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients

Originally, Inter-RIR Transfer policy only allowed IPv4 addresses to be
transferred between regions, but not Autonomous System Numbers or IPv6
addresses. This month, an adjustment to policy 8.4 now allows the
Inter-RIR transfer of both IPv4 addresses as well as Autonomous System
Numbers. Inter-RIR transfers can only take place between RIRs who agree
to the transfer and share reciprocal, compatible needs-based policies.
Currently these RIRs are APNIC, ARIN, and RIPE NCC. More information on
Inter-RIR transfers can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/transfers/

**Tip from Registration Services Department**

Your organization is interested in receiving IPv4 addresses through an
8.3 Specified Recipient Transfer or 8.4 Inter-RIR Transfer, but you
aren’t sure if you should submit a transfer pre-approval request first.
Here are the most common scenarios, and why you may or may not want to
submit a pre-approval.

24-month projected need: Your organization can be pre-approved for up to
a 24-month need. Once your organization has been pre-approved, you can
process as many transfer requests as needed until the total pre-approved
amount is depleted. Having a 24-month pre-approval will also save you
time during the actual transfer process. By having a pre-approval, you
will not need to provide utilization and justification for each and
every transfer.

No Source: You haven’t located a source organization or you just want to
be certain you qualify for the amount of space you are seeking before
entering into a contract, working with a facilitator, or a source
organization.

The Source wants pre-approval: You have located a source organization,
but they require that your organization be pre-approved first. It is not
necessary to submit a pre-approval ticket. Instead, you may submit an
8.3 Specified Recipient Transfer or 8.4 Inter-RIR Transfer recipient
ticket. Once your organization has met the qualification requirements
for the block size being requested, we will create a pre-approval for
your organization within the transfer ticket. At that point, you can let
your Source know you have been pre-approved and provide them with your
Recipient transfer ticket number. They will include your ticket number
in their Source transfer ticket, and we will link the tickets together
to process and complete the transfer.

More information on transfers and transfer pre-approvals can be found
at: https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/transfers/

**Tip from Financial Services Department**

Having trouble keeping up with the happenings at ARIN? Did you miss a
major announcement? Want to receive more information about current events?

Subscribe to our mailing lists! You can receive notifications about
topics including fee discussions/changes, elections, upcoming meetings,
and ideas for policy development.

Subscribing is voluntary. You may subscribe to the mailing list(s) or
visit us from time-to-time and cruise through the archive to catch up.
Get connected today!

Subscribe to our mailing lists:
https://www.arin.net/participate/community/mailing_lists/

*All mailing lists are open to the public except the ARIN Discussion
mailing list, which is for ARIN members only.

**Customer and Member Statistics as of 28 February 2019**

- 38,221 total customer organizations, including 5,958 member organizations
- 128 8.3 Transfers and 24 8.4 Transfers completed YTD 2019
- 8.4 Transfers completed YTD 2019: 5 to APNIC, 10 to RIPE NCC, 4 from
APNIC, 5 from RIPE NCC
- 59.1% of members have an IPv6 block

**Four Security Services You Should Be Using**

Your data protection is extremely important to us. Andy Newton, Chief
Engineer, explains four security services we offer that you should be
using to secure your accounts in a recent post on TeamARIN. We encourage
you to take advantage of these free, easy-to-use services which are all
here to protect your information.

https://teamarin.net/2019/03/08/4-security-services-you-should-be-using/

**Stay Engaged with ARIN**

Check out https://teamarin.net for our latest blogs. Recent posts
include IPv6 case studies, an inside look at our new website, event
recaps, and more.

Missed an issue of ARIN Bits? Past issues can be found in our Bits
archive: https://teamarin.net/category/arin-bits/

Stay connected with us on social media:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TeamARIN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TeamARIN