[arin-announce] DNSSEC Monitoring Enhancements

ARIN info at arin.net
Mon Feb 4 11:32:25 EST 2019

On 31 January, ARIN deployed DNSSEC monitoring enhancements, including
proactive RRSIG expiration checking, zone syntax checking, and DNSSEC
validation. We are monitoring from various disparate locations across
the Internet with these checks. This effort was undertaken in response
to the incident that occurred on 11 January, detailed in the incident
report below.

Improved monitoring of DNSSEC and the arin.net zone will provide earlier
alerts of any issues such as Resource Record Signature (RRSIG)
expiration and any issues with DNSSEC validation. These enhancements
will provide early warning of potential issues, prevent outages, and
improve our ability to troubleshoot DNSSEC problems if they occur in the
future.

Regards,
Mark Kosters
Chief Technology Officer

Incident Report:

On 11 January 2019, at approximately 8:30 a.m. ET, ARIN monitoring
systems alerted that some arin.net properties were unreachable. All
users with validating DNS resolvers were unable to look up resources
within arin.net and thus were unable to reach them. ARIN’s www.arin.net
and ftp.arin.net sites and Whois, RPKI, and DNS services were affected
for those users who use validating resolvers.

ARIN’s Engineering staff determined that DNSSEC validation for the
arin.net zone was failing and temporarily unpublished Delegation Signer
(DS) records with our registrar so that we could investigate the
problem. Upon troubleshooting, ARIN staff discovered that the removal of
a resource record had created a spurious record, which caused a script
to fail to reload. New versions of the zone could not be loaded, and the
zone file in use expired. After determining the cause of the problem,
the offending file was removed and the zone was reloaded. Delegation
Signer (DS) records were republished and the zone validated, restoring
service at approximately 10:30 a.m. ET.