[arin-announce] ARIN Mailing List Status Update

ARIN info at arin.net
Fri Jun 22 13:38:31 EDT 2018

We have noticed that ARIN’s listserver has become added to some spam
black lists. Subscribers whose providers are using these black lists
would have failed to receive messages to the list. From the perspective
of ARIN’s mailing list server this appears as a rejection and removes a
subscriber after 3 rejections.

In our investigation of numerous subscription removals, ARIN engineering
discovered a piece of malware that exists. This software attempts to
subscribe a victim's email address to various mailing lists, including
but not limited to, arin-announce, arin-discuss, arin-issued, arin-ppml,
arin-suggestions, and arin-tech-discuss.

Very recently, ARIN's mailing list server was placed on a spam black
list that is used by outlook.com. Any list mail for a recipient using an
outlook.com, hotmail.com, or other domain that is hosted by outlook.com
was rejected for a period. ARIN's mailing list software tracked those
rejections and unsubscribed large numbers of mailing list members over
the last month. If your subscription was impacted, you may have received
a request to reactivate your account.

We reached out to outlook.com and have been removed from their spam
list, but the possibility exists for ARIN again to be placed on
outlook.com or any other spam list in the future. We will continue to
monitor the situation.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Mark Kosters
Chief Technology Officer