[arin-announce] ARIN Bits: December 2018

ARIN info at arin.net
Mon Dec 17 13:11:12 EST 2018

ARIN Bits: December 2018

In this issue:

**Farewell Nate and Cathy!**
**2018 ARIN Election Results**
**Apply for a Fellowship to ARIN 43**
**Current Draft Policies Under Discussion**
**Future of Technology Summit (FTSUMMIT) – 10-12 February 2019**
**Featured Policy Requirement**
**Tip from ARIN’s Registration Services Department**
**Tip from ARIN’s Financial Services Department**
**Get Involved with ARIN in 2019**
**Customer and Member Statistics as of 30 November 2018**
**Helpful IPv6 Links**
**Stay Engaged with ARIN**

**Farewell Nate and Cathy!**

Please join us in bidding Nate Davis and Cathy Handley farewell and
congratulations as they begin retirement this month. Nate Davis, ARIN’s
Chief Operating Officer, has been with us for 14 years and Cathy
Handley, Senior Director of Government Affairs and Public Policy, has
been with us for ten years. We wish them all the best in retirement and
thank them for their years of service to the ARIN region.

**2018 ARIN Election Results**

Thank you to everyone who voted in the 2018 ARIN Elections. The results
of the election were announced on 15 October but in case you missed
them, take a look now:
https://www.arin.net/announcements/2018/20181015.html.

Congratulations to those elected to serve on the ARIN Board of Trustees,
Advisory Council and NRO Number Council!

**Apply for a Fellowship to ARIN 43**

We’re accepting applications for our Fellowship Program to attend ARIN
43 in Bridgetown, Barbados from 7-10 April 2019. Apply for a fellowship
now through 5:00 PM EST on Wednesday, 16 January 2019:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FELLOWARIN43

ARIN 43 Fellowships may also include registration and hotel
accommodations for CaribNOG 17, which will be held following ARIN's
meeting in the same location from 11-12 April 2019. Learn more about
CaribNOG: http://www.caribnog.org/

Registration for ARIN 43 is now open, so secure your spot to join us:
http://arin.net/ARIN43

**Current Draft Policies Under Discussion**

Find the full text and status of current policy discussions at
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/ and subscribe to ARIN-PPML
(Public Policy Mailing List) to voice your opinions. Membership is not
required to participate!

Pending Board of Trustees Review:
- ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-regional ASN Transfers
- ARIN-2018-3: Remove Reallocation Requirements for Residential Market
Assignments
- ARIN-2018-4: Clarification on Temporary Sub-Assignments
- NRPM Cleanup (formerly ARIN-prop-255)
- Modify 8.3 and 8.4 for Clarity (formerly ARIN-prop-256)

Recommended Draft Policies:
- ARIN-2017-12: Require New POC Validation Upon Reassignment
- ARIN-2018-2: Clarification to ISP Initial Allocation

Draft Policies:
- ARIN-2018-5: Disallow Third-party Organization Record Creation
- ARIN-2018-6: Clarify reassignment requirements in 4.2.3.7.1

**Future of Technology Summit (FTSUMMIT) – 10-12 February 2019**

John Curran will be speaking at the Future of Technology Summit in
Washington, D.C., an event dedicated to exploring how technology is on
track to fundamentally change what our work looks like in the next five
to ten years, and what decision makers must do now to be prepared.
Learn more about it at: https://ftsummit.us/. John will discuss what’s
in store for the future of the Internet as the very way we connect to it
is changing.

**Featured Policy Requirement**

Direct assignments from ARIN to End-User organizations (NRPM 6.5.8)

Did you know that End-User organizations can easily qualify for an
initial IPv6 assignment? Under current policy, most organizations will
qualify for their first IPv6 assignment of a /48. Larger blocks are
issued on the nibble boundary (/44, /40, etc), and are justified by the
number of sites the organization has in their network. Have any
questions?  Give our Registration Services team a call at 703.227.0660
or submit an Ask ARIN ticket from within your ARIN Online account.

**Tip from ARIN’s Registration Services Department**

“How long will my ticket take to be completed?” We get that question a
lot.  ARIN staff reviews and responds to all tickets and correspondence
in the order they are received.  We endeavor to reply within two
business days. The overall duration of a ticket will vary depending on
how much correspondence is required for your particular ticket.

Here are some tips that may help expedite the completion of your ticket:

- Ensure you thoroughly review and respond to all items asked of you by
ARIN staff within the ticket
- Ensure any necessary documents are attached to your ticket
- If you have any questions, you may want to give us a call at the Help
Desk for a quick conversation. Once all your questions have been
answered, be sure to provide your written response within the ticket.
- You can check the status of a ticket and review all correspondence
within a ticket in the Tickets and Messages section of your ARIN Online
account. You may want to check on a ticket to ensure ARIN staff is not
waiting for a response from you on that ticket.

**Tip from ARIN’s Financial Services Department**

How to Cancel and Return Resource(s) to ARIN

When your organization no longer needs and/or does not want to pay to
renew the Internet number resources directly registered to your
organization, those resources can be proactively returned to ARIN:
https://www.arin.net/resources/return_revoke.html#return

Returning IPv4 Addresses, IPv6 Addresses, or ASNs (Internet Number
Resources)

If you would like to return the Internet number resources, the following
steps are necessary to validate that is the true intention of your
company and that the person submitting the request has authority to act
on the company’s behalf to transact the return.

1.    Log in to ARIN Online and create a ticket via Ask ARIN
(https://www.arin.net/public/communication/message/question.xhtml),
stating that you have Internet number resources you would like to
return. If you don’t have an ARIN Online account, you may create one by
visiting: https://www.arin.net/public/accountSetup.xhtml
2.    Please provide your Organization ID (Org ID) and list each IPv4
address block, IPv6 address block, or ASN you would like to return.
3.    Please include a signed and notarized document from an officer of
your organization with an acknowledgment of their return. This document
must include that he/she:
a.    Authorizes the return of the resources to ARIN,
b.    Permanently releases all registration rights to the resources, and
c.    States his/her understanding that once the registration rights to
the resources are relinquished, they cannot be later reinstated.
4.    An analyst will work with you to secure the return of the resources.

**Get Involved with ARIN in 2019**

Since the new year is upon us and it’s the perfect time for a fresh
start, consider making 2019 the year you get more involved with us!
There are so many ways to be a part of what we do, some of which you may
not even be aware. Here are a few ideas:

- Don’t be shy – submit a policy proposal! Learn all about the Policy
Development Process: https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/
- Attend ARIN 43 in Barbados or ARIN 44 in Austin, TX. Visit our
Meetings Page to learn more:
https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/index.html Check out our
excellent remote participation if you can’t be with us in person.
- Run for a spot on the 2020 Advisory Council or Board of Trustees.
Learn about our Elections process:
https://www.arin.net/participate/elections/index.html
- Be a guest blogger for TeamARIN or share your experience deploying
IPv6 for our case studies page:
https://teamarin.net/get6/ipv6-case-studies/. Contact us to get started:
https://teamarin.net/spread-the-word/guest-blog/
- Volunteer to serve on a committee when you see a call go out:
https://www.arin.net/about_us/committees.html
- Submit a suggestion via the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process :
https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/acsp.html

Want more information about any of these ideas? Email us at info at arin.net.

**Customer and Member Statistics as of 30 November 2018**

- 38,140 total customer organizations, including 5,893 member organizations
- 815 8.3 transfers and 141 8.4 transfers completed YTD 2018
- 8.4 transfers completed YTD 2018: 64 to APNIC, 11 from APNIC, 61 to
RIPE NCC, 5 from RIPE NCC
- 58.7% of members have an IPv6 block

**Helpful IPv6 Links**

- Dedicated IPv4 block to facilitate IPv6 Deployment -
https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four10 - under this policy, ARIN
set aside a contiguous /10 IPv4 block for allocations and assignments
justified by immediate IPv6 deployment requirements. This block is
subject to a minimum size allocation of /28 and a maximum size
allocation of /24.
- List of IPv6 Training Consultants -
https://getipv6.info/display/IPv6/IPv6+Consulting+and+Training+Services
- Software Developers Guide to Writing and Migrating Network
Applications for Use on IPv6 Networks -
https://www.arin.net/knowledge/preparing_apps_for_v6.pdf
- IPv6 Number Planning - https://www.arin.net/resources/ipv6_planning.html

**Stay Engaged with ARIN**

Check out https://teamarin.net/ for our latest blogs, including recent
posts about IPv6 for Government and Enterprises in 12 steps, an IPv6
case study from Virginia Tech, a “Why are you thankful for IPv6?”
campaign, and much more!

Missed an issue of ARIN Bits? Past issues can be found in our Bits
archive: https://teamarin.net/category/arin-bits/

Stay connected with us on social media:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TeamARIN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TeamARIN