[arin-announce] ARIN IPv4 Free Pool Reaches 1.5 /8s

ARIN info at arin.net
Mon Dec 30 11:02:29 EST 2013

ARIN's IPv4 free pool has dropped to 1.5 /8s, and as we get closer to
having a single /8 equivalent and reaching Phase 4 of the IPv4 Countdown
Plan, we wanted to review the resource request processing changes that
will go into effect at that time.

First - All IPv4 requests will continue to be processed on a "first in,
first out" basis, and all requests of any size will be subject to team
review, and requests for a /15 or larger will require department
director approval. ARIN's IP analysts will respond to tickets as they
appear chronologically in the queue. Each ticket response is treated as
an individual transaction, so the completion time of a single request
may vary based on customer response times and the number of requests
waiting in the queue.

Second - The hold period for returned, reclaimed, and revoked blocks
will be reduced from 90 days to 60 days. When the IPv4 Countdown Plan
was originally published, the hold period for this phase was set to 30
days, but we have increased that time window to better align with the
ARIN Registration Services Agreement (RSA).

The post-approval process for IPv4 requests will remain the same. When a
request is approved, the recipient will have 60 days to complete payment
and/or an RSA. On the 61st day, the address space will be released back
to the available pool if payment and RSA are not completed.

You can learn more about the IPv4 Countdown Plan, including the current
breakdown of available address blocks, by visiting:

https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_countdown.html.

ARIN may experience situations where it can no longer fulfill qualifying
IPv4 requests due to a lack of inventory of the desired block size.  At
that time, the requester may opt to accept the largest available block
size or they may ask to be placed on the Waiting List for Unmet
Requests.  Full details about this process are available at:

https://www.arin.net/resources/request/waiting_list.html

Please contact hostmaster at arin.net or the Registration Services Help
Desk at +1.703.227.0660 if you have questions about these procedural
changes.

Regards,

Leslie Nobile
Director, Registration Services