[arin-announce] APNIC Announces its IPv4 Address Pool Reaches Final /8

ARIN info at arin.net
Fri Apr 15 08:00:05 EDT 2011

APNIC announced that as of Friday, 15 April 2011, its IPv4 address pool
reached the Final /8 IPv4 address block, bringing the Asia Pacific
region to the last Stage of IPv4 exhaustion. This is a very important
milestone on the IPv4 exhaustion process at a global level.

This means that APNIC is now supplying IPv4 address space to its members
from the last /8 it holds according to the guidelines in section 9.10 in
"Policies for IPv4 address space management in the Asia Pacific region":
http://www.apnic.net/policy/add-manage-policy

This event does not affect ARINs IPv4 address supply or allocation
policies. IPv4 depletion in the ARIN region will be driven by the rate
at which qualifying requests are received. We cannot predict how long
ARIN’s pool of IPv4 address space will last, but we will continue to
distribute IPv4 address space in accordance with the policies documented
in the Number Resource Policy Manual as long as there are addresses
available.

Now that the first Regional Internet Registry has issued their last IPv4
addresses, it is clear that the move to adopt IPv6 can’t be delayed.
IPv6 addresses are in plentiful supply, and organizations should be
working to facilitate their transition.

Regards,

Communications and Member Services