[arin-announce] ARIN Celebrates 8 Years in Service

Member Services memsvcs at arin.net
Thu Dec 22 08:32:29 EST 2005

Today, ARIN marks its eighth year of service to the Internet
community. ARIN was established in 1997 to provide Internet number
resource registration services to North America, South America, and
subequatorial Africa. Over these past eight years the Internet has
changed greatly and so has ARIN. Our service region now encompasses
Canada, the United States, and several islands in the Caribbean Sea and
North Atlantic Ocean, the result of the successful establishment of
LACNIC and AfriNIC, an effort in which ARIN played a significant
role. While the service region has diminished in size, the quality of
service has continuously improved.  The mission of ARIN remains the same:

Mission Statement:
Applying the principles of stewardship, ARIN, a nonprofit corporation,
allocates Internet Protocol resources; develops consensus-based
policies; and facilitates the advancement of the Internet through
information and educational outreach.

The success of ARIN has been and continues to be a result of the
commitment of many extraordinary individuals and organizations. Whether
involved in the very establishment of ARIN as an RIR or just now getting
an initial IPv6 allocation, the stakeholders in our region are a driving
force in areas of policy, operations, and Internet research. On behalf
of ARIN and its staff, I'd like to thank all those who have contributed
to ARIN's success over the years and invite everyone to be involved in
our exciting future.

Regards,

Raymond A. Plzak
President and CEO