[arin-announce] Unauthorized Changes to ARIN Database

Member Services memsvcs at arin.net
Tue Oct 14 12:55:12 EDT 2003

There have been many cases of unauthorized changes to the
ARIN database over the past year.  ARIN takes each case of
an unauthorized database change very seriously.  During the
course of this year we have amended many of our procedures
and developed new ones in an effort to prevent the occurrence
of unauthorized changes. We will continue to do so as long as
is necessary.

Because ARIN's main area of involvement in these cases revolves
around inaccurate information being populated to the database,
we must concentrate on researching and correcting these
inaccuracies.  We have a very clear set of internal business
practices and rules that dictate what actions we can take, and
there are a certain set of protocols that we must follow.
Unfortunately, the time involved in following these procedures
does not always allow for an immediate remedy to inaccuracies,
but they must be followed.  In following these procedures, we
must also adhere to our common practices of non-disclosure to
the general public.

ARIN is currently cooperating with all law enforcement agencies
that use their powers to obtain subpoenas or other tools available
to them to obtain information from ARIN. These agencies include
the US Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and
state attorneys general and local district attorneys.  Often they
seek to obtain information related to cases where individuals have
falsified their identity to make unauthorized changes to records
in the ARIN database.  In addition to this ongoing cooperation,
which is mandated by law, ARIN will proactively report newly
documented cases that come to its attention to law enforcement
authorities without notice to those engaged in such activity.

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations