ARIN Justified..

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Wed Jan 10 21:47:15 EST 2001

Clayton:
  So you're saying that nobody is going to be asked to change existing
operations from IP to name based hosting in order to justify additional
address space? If you agree, then what about hosting that's in progress
but not yet deployed. Continuing from there, how much time should be
permitted for a company to move to a model that's compatible with name
based hosting, a couple months, a couple years? One thing is for sure,
changing the way you do business isn't easy and it takes time. Clearly
that should be justification for some period of time and clearly the
current momentum of a business model needs to be a component of
justification.
  Also, policy and business model must have some bearing on justification
because it is one's policies and models that makes a business successful.
If in order to impliment a competative business model there is a need for
IP based hosting (such as bandwidth profiling) then isn't that as valid as
something like technical justification for giving dial-up/DSL/cable
customers globally routable addresses space. I personally think that
forcing a business to change their model in order to obtain future
allocations is perhaps more intrusive than forcing the holder of a largely
unused allocation to renumber to free up space, and perhaps may be as
likely to trigger legal challenges.
  I just can't see these as separate issues, since both the reclamation of
unused address space and reasonable efficiency in consumption relate
directly to minimizing future impact of a limited resource. Targeting one
without targeting the other is clearly not a balanced and reasonable
approach.

Chuck