ARIN Justified...

Bill Van Emburg bve at quadrix.com
Mon Jan 8 17:16:34 EST 2001

Simon wrote:

> Doesn't scale in what sense? doing virtual web hosting, what other traffic are you concerned about?

Doesn't scale in that when you take millions of hits a day, your tools
can't parse the bandwidth information out of the reports in any kind of
economical fashion.  In fact, one of my customers just dumped
Macromedia's Aria tool because, while it's a great tool in terms of
functionality, it simply can't scale to meet the sheer volume of log
files generated daily.

What other traffic I'm concerned about is, first of all, the difference
between application-layer total data transfer and actual bandwidth
consumed.  Then there is FTP data transfer, SMTP, POP, etc.

Parsing HTTP log files simply can't meet these needs.
--

				     -- Bill Van Emburg
				     	Quadrix Solutions, Inc.