ARIN Justified...

Scott Rogers SRogers at Affinity.com
Sun Jan 7 18:41:33 EST 2001

OK, It appears I've been unber a misconception.
To my defense, it's been over a year since I did
anything directly with the search engines.

The good news (for me) is that I now have more ammunition
to deny IP addresses to my customers, since they were
using the "search engines don't support it" excuse.

I understand that SSL (may) still be a valid reason for
individual addresses.  Am I wrong here? (Anyone).

As far as I'm concernded, if they (my customers) get
their IP addresses blocked, then they are either doing
something they are not supposed to be doing, or allowing
their customers to do things they shouldn't be doing.
I'd rather have to give them a second IP when they get one
blocked, and have them go through the hassle of re-numbering
everthing, than give them a block of IP's (they they will
just get blocked anyway).  It might even discourage them
from letting their IP's be used for SPAM, DoS, etc if they
have to keep renumbering and changing the DNS for everything,
everytime they do something stupid.

As the Decicated Server/Colocation facility, I do bandwidth
accounting by Switch Port (bytes based), not IP addresses.
My customers seem to be happy with Web reporting (WebTrends)
to breack it down from there.  This does include FTP, but
not streaming audio.  They will have to figure that out
themselves.

So, as a hosting company, what other valid reasons are left
for multiple "real" IP's, other than SSL ?

BTW: Thanks for letting me vent here and there, as well as
correcting some of my mis-conceptions on the search engines.
Now maybe I won't sound so much like the high and mighty fool :-)