ARIN Justified...

Scott Rogers SRogers at Affinity.com
Thu Jan 4 09:53:24 EST 2001

I'm the network engineer for a large dedicated server/colocation facility
and I agree that  IP addresses and their maintenance is a large pain in the
ass.  We have a little over 1/2 a clacc B equivelent and are still growing.

I have been trying to push customers to use "Name Based" virtual hosting,
and keep making the sales guys have customers justify needing more than
32 addresses.  We charge $1 per address per month, so it's an important
revenue stream.

As a "network engineer", it's also important to know that IP addresses
are a "fixed" resource.  When they are gone, that's it.  Yes, I know
that IPV6 will cure our problems.  Well they have been working on it
for over 8 years and we don't seem realistically very close to it.

People will hoard (hey anybody want to buy 48 pre CIDR class C addresse)
networks and address and then try to make a killing in the parket.  I
remember several years ago people offering to sell their class B addresses
that they had from old APRANET days for tens and hundreds of thousands
of dollars.

My point is, that the revenue stream is usless is you can't get more
addresses later.  We have to push back at our customers for REAL
justifications,  and my providers and ARIN have to push back to me
me for the same.  ARIN, RIPE, et. al. then have to justify to the IANA
(or whatever) for allocations as well.

Market pricing won't give us the conservation we need.

WHat will help is to eliminate the need for REAL IP so people can use
NAME based servers.

Issues;
*	All browsers have to support HTTP/1.1 and name based browsing.
	Mostly done now  AOL and COMPUSERVE were the biggest offenders.

*	SSL Certificates may not always work with NAME based due to
	reverse IP not matching the certificates.

*	The biggest issue (to my customers), the SEARCH ENGINES need to
	support HTTP/1.1 and name based virtual servers.  Most do not.
	We, as a community, need to push the search engines into building
	in support.  If we do this, we will solve a significant
	portion of the problem.  The SSL requirements I feel are probably
	not a siginficant portion of the problem

Just my 2 cents.
--
Scott W. Rogers  <SRogers at affinity.com>   +1-410-558-2750   (Fax:
+1410-563-5457)