Back to Basics

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Wed Nov 8 10:59:41 EST 2000

Bill Darte wrote:

> ARIN policy needs to be directed toward real problems....I have seen no
> justification for this policy except that "it wastes addresses".....but the
> magnitude of that waste must be assessed before the issue rises to level of
> a need for ARIN intervention.... I reiterate my earlier questions...
>
> 1. How many addresses ARE being used this way now and (suitable
> approximation)
> 2. what is the slope of the the utilization curve and (ditto)
> 3. What are the potential impacts upon that utilization rate in the next 3-5
> years??? (ditto)

Very good questions.

Can web hosters on the list give us a concept of how many IP addresses you
currently have in use, compared with how many IPs you could reasonably
consume with an equal size distribution of name-based virtual hosts (keeping
in mind that conversion of existing infrastructure would not be required)?

Alec

Alec H. Peterson - ahp at hilander.com
Staff Scientist
CenterGate Research Group - http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even _we_ don't understand it!"