Things that need to be addressed

Steve Pierce Steve.Lists at HDL.com
Mon Nov 6 19:16:00 EST 2000

you wrote:
>> ARIN simply cannot base its allocation policies on the actions
>> of other organizations.

But we must. In fact, we are already forced into making new regulations
about IP address blocks because other organizations do not want to give up
their un-needed or under-utilized IP blocks. So ARIN is most definitely
already basing policies on the actions of other organizations.

You might be taking a purely logical approach rather than also considering
human nature. For the policy to be effective we need to do both. When you
create a policy that makes it difficult for someone to make a living, they
will, by human nature, do whatever it takes to get around that policy.

For example. You set the speed limit at 25MPH on a 4-lane divided highway.
Yet for some reason everyone drives 55. Perhaps because there is plenty of
line of sight vision, smooth pavement and little traffic incursions. The
scientific approach would be to say, our policy is to drive 25MPH, so we
need to step up enforcement to make sure that everyone drives 25. But it
fails to look at human nature. If people feel safe on a road, they naturally
drive faster.

Thankfully traffic laws in most states don't work an inflexible policy. The
90 percentile rule is applied. That is, if 90 percent of the drivers are
driving 55, then the speed limit is changed to 55. In fact in California, if
you are clocked at a speed that is at or below the 90th percentile and also
below the stated maximum for that type of road, you cannot be given a
citation. Even if the posted sign says Speed Limit 25 MPH.

So we can make a policy that says virtual hosts cannot request address
space. But then the hosting companies will come up with another reason to
get around that rule or risk going out of business. If we make a rule that
says virtual hosts can't have address space while their legacy competition
is flush with addresses, then despite the well meaning policy of ARIN,
people will do whatever it takes to get additional address space.

I am not saying that just because people will try to circumvent policy, we
should just throw our hands up and do nothing. Far from it. I am saying that
since we can predict that people will go around it, we need to make sure the
policy is reasonable enough so as to minimize the temptation to circumvent
the policy. Remember, I am for ip-less addressing as long as we can solve
the problem with address blocking and filters. But I think it is naive to
think ORBS and Net Nanny are interested in ARIN's problem and are willing to
change they way they work to accommodate ARIN.

I already have experience working with ORBS and Net Nanny to get specific
addresses removed from their block lists. In over two years not once have
they removed an address. Even when a law suit was filed in one case, they
claimed it was their free speech right to list whatever address they wanted
to and they weren't forcing people to use or subscribe to the filters.

Yet here in Michigan, Public Schools and Public Libraries are required by
State Law to install net filters. If ARIN is successful in getting a
commitment from ORBS and Net Nanny to establish reasonable guidelines for
the removal of blocked addresses, then by all means lets move forward with
IP-less address requirements for virtual hosts. But my experience has shown
that these filter companies are not interested in any oversight or
co-operation. So perhaps we need another plan.

Cheers!

 - Steve

Steve Pierce, HDL
Direct: (734) 482-9682