Things that need to be addressed

Steve Pierce Steve.Lists at HDL.com
Mon Nov 6 17:48:25 EST 2000

>> I agree with Alec on this point, ARIN really cannot do
>> anything if someone chooses to filter addresses, or
>> blocks for that matter...

ARIN introduces the problem because of the restriction of addresses.
Blocking and filtering is not a problem if each domain has a separate IP
address. But with ARIN forcing the change to ip-less web hosting, a change I
fully endorse, ARIN needs to realize the full impact of that change. When
you go to ip-less domain hosting, the limitation of the filter programs like
ORBS and Net Nanny cause undue hardship to those abiding by ARIN's policy.
AS much as we would like to have ORBS and NetNanny change their ways, ORBS
dares anyone to sue them and NetNanny refuses to disclose their filtering.
Both argue that their filtering software is a free speech. But with state
and federal governments no mandating filtering software in schools and
libraries, ARIN is unfortunately forced to having to deal with this problem.
ARIN could use the head in the sand approach, but all that will do is force
carriers to lie about address space needs.

The ISP will just lie to create false justification for address range which
defeats the whole purpose of ARIN mandating the move to IP-less addressing.
There is nothing to stop an ISP from saying, every domain has their own SSL
certificate as you know SSL must be tied to a unique IP address. So they
then justify 20,000 IP addresses. Are we going to force ARIN to determine
when a SSL cert is real or faked? It creates an untenable situation for
ARIN.

The problem comes about in the unfair allocation of addresses. Bigger hosts
with class A addresses to burn can easily offer IP address to every single
domain they host with no fear of running out of addresses. So they are not
impacted by these filter programs. But smaller hosting companies that follow
ARIN's policy are at a competitive disadvantage.

ARIN policies should not create an environment where the smaller guy can't
compete.  Especially when it is the smaller guy that is following ARIN
guidelines and is so carefully conserving IP address space. That is the guy
ARIN should support and encourage, not make it more difficult for them to
conduct business or force them to lie to stay in business.

If ARIN is going to require the move to ip-less addressing for web hosts,
then ARIN also needs to force holders of Class A address space to give back
Class B and C addresses and those holding Class B should not be permitted to
hold Class C's. At least one world wide carrier has at least two if not
three Class A addresses yet they also have hundreds of Class C addresses.
That should not be permitted.

All I am asking is for ARIN to create an environment that is fair to large
and small carriers and hosting companies while meeting the stated mission of
conserving and recovering IP address space.

 - Steve

Steve Pierce, HDL
Direct: (734) 482-9682
mailto:Steve at HDL.com | http://HDL.com