a revised IAB/IESG document

Thomas Narten narten at raleigh.ibm.com
Wed Feb 7 10:35:58 EST 2001

draft-iesg-ipv6-addressing-recommendations-00.txt which recently
became available is an update of the statement posted by the IESG/IAB
to various mailing lists on 9/1/2000. The intention of this revision
is to clarify and refine that text, rather than to change the overall
recommendation. In particular, it attempts to incoporate feedback
received from the presentations on the recommendation made to the
three registries (RIPE, ARIN, and APNIC).

I just looked at a diff of the changes, and there are enough
individual changes that is hard to summarize them. The one that I
think is worth pointing out is that the text surrounding the
explanation of the H Ratio has been redone. I'm including it here for
convenience:

    - [RFC1715] defines an "H ratio" based on experience in address
      space assignment in various networks.  The H ratio varies between
      0 and 0.3, with larger values denoting denser, more efficient
      assignment.  Experience shows that problems start to occur when
      the H ratio becomes greater than 0.25.  At an H ratio of 0.25, a
      45 bit address space would have 178 billion (178 thousand million)
      identifiers.

         H = log10(178*10^9) / 45 = 0.25

      This means that we feel comfortable about the prospect of
      allocating 178 billions /48 prefixes under that scheme before
      problems start to appear.  To understand how big that number is,
      one has to compare 178 billion to 10 billion, which is the
      projected population on earth in year 2050 (see
      http://www.popin.org/pop1998/).

However, there are other wording improvements as well, so I would
encourate you all to read the new ID. Comments are welcome of course.

Also, Scott Marcus' suggested changes didn't make it into the current
version, but will be included in the next version.

Thomas