[ppml] IPv6 in North America

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Mar 22 23:06:19 EDT 2007

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
[..]

>> Earthlink, an ARIN member has been doing work on making IPv6 useable for
>> consumer services.
>> http://www.research.earthlink.net/ipv6/
>
> The linksys firmware is cool but Earthlink should have put the
> effort into adding in their IPv6 features to the DD-WRT replacement
> firmware for these routers.  What Earthlink did really does not help
> anybody.  To take advantage of it someone will have to try to merge
> the code in.  Really smart... NOT!

It does something very simple: IPSec tunnel to their server and then
gives you an IPv6 address using DHCPv6 (which is pretty fancy I must
say, but quite useless from an ops perspective as you know the endpoints
anyway)

You accomplish the same with for instance OpenVPN, which is available
for per DD-WRT: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=OpenVPN
But then you don't have a 'free' server yet of course.

Thus by reading: http://wiki.openwrt.org/IPv6_howto which works for
DD-WRT too and sort of similar for other platforms (see the FAQ):
8<----------------------------
ipkg install aiccu

Edit /etc/aiccu.conf :
    * get account at www.sixxs.net
    * put your login/passwd
    * configure "ipv4_interface" (usually vlan1)
    * comment the "tunnel_id" line if you have only one tunnel

aiccu start
--------------------------------->8

Works over NATs if AYIYA is chosen, or you can use heartbeats when the
device is facing directly to your ISP with a public address.
Of course manual configuration and static tunnels is also possible.

Unfortunately only PoPs on the East Coast at the moment, but of course
other ISP's are always welcome to join in to provide others, also for
their own customers, ask for more details (and it's free as in beer).

For people who signup: bonus credits are given for nicely explained
signup reasons, so be creative ;)

Thirdy, I think that Hexago's tscp tool also runs on *WRT.

Greets,
 Jeroen
  (who has 2 DD-WRT boxes at home in .nl nicely doing IPv6 ;)