[ppml] Policy Proposal: 2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal

James Jun james at towardex.com
Wed Mar 21 16:22:05 EDT 2007

> >I can't add to the discussion, without repeating points raised,
> >other than to say "opposed" as written.

I am also going to go on record to state that I'm opposed to this proposal.
While I am an advocate for adoption of IPv6, the artificial timeline is
unfair to many.  My position is that we ought to continue to work in
IPv4<->IPv6 transition phase for a smoother rather than artificial T-dates.
And once the market speaks for IPv6, let the transition happen naturally as
market demands.

There's been a lot of surge of pressure and discussions relating to the
death of IPv4 or IPv4 space otherwise running out; however discussion to
allow or encourage people to IPv6 has been little, and had only been impeded
by issues like shim6, unresolved multihoming, etc (which is why the recent
/48 PI allocation adoption by ARIN was a great step forward to get more
people to transition to IPv6 IMO).

And to top it off, for some people from a single region to advocate that we
globally determine a timeline for IPv4 based on expectations is unfair, when
not too many efforts to encourage and market IPv6 had been made.

Regards,
james