[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Mon Mar 19 23:39:38 EDT 2007

[ snip ]

> >> If for example IANA announced that on January 1st 2012
> that  >> there would be no more IPv4 traffic allowed on
> the global BGP  >> network,
> >
> >IANA does not control the "global BGP network".
>
> I disagree.

IANA, which is ICANN, has no authority over operations,
operators,
or routing table "policy". It never has. I'm truly sorry,
but you
are incorrect. And there's not even a gray area. ZERO is
probably
a useful word in this case.

[ SNIP ]

> Very good, then.  I will predict it will be shot down, but
> we will see.

That's not the point. The point is that anybody can make a
policy,
even spurious ones. We are all equal. Please do some
additional
reading on the ICANN website, the ASO website, the NRO
website, and
the ARIN website. Everything you never wanted to know about
the RIR
system is contained in all of those sites. It's a fair
amount of
reading.

Best,

-M<