[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Mar 19 14:53:46 EDT 2007

I will, soon.

>> It seems to me that the current allocation scheme is
>> fundamentally based on the concept of need of addresses for
>> your own use.  That is, if I need addresses for my network,
>> and I can demonstrate this need, then I will get them.  It is
>> not based on the idea that I need a chunk of addresses so I
>> can turn around and make a lot of money selling them to
>> someone who really does need them.  ISP's for example, when
>> they assign an IP address to a customer, if the customer
>> quits service, the IP address stays with the ISP.
>>
>> This is a morality question of sorts.
>
>Would you propose that we abolish the allocation system, and
>only assign to end user organizations?

If we end up in "IP NAT hell" as someone called it which means at
some point in the future where all large allocations are tied up,
and we start seriously contemplating BGP IPv4 advertisements of
/25 or less, then I don't see that ARIN is going to have much
choice in the matter, with micro-micro allocations of that small
size, ARIN will effectively be allocating to end-users.

>> In the history of human endeavor
>[. . .]
>> Thus the idea is that fundamentally, any idea of creating a
>> free market of IP addresses being bought and sold, is
>> tanasmount to patenting the Christian idea of "do unto
>> others" or it is tansamount to issuing a copyright on "the
>> happy birthday song"
>
>That song is (probably) protected by copyright.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You

I knew about that which is why I used that example.  Great example
of corporate immorality.

Ted