[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Fri Mar 16 13:58:32 EDT 2007

First I feel I need to jump in and say we are all underestimating the
resourcefulness of the internet user.  OK, I admit I'm an old fart and
that when I started in the internet you had to solder your own modem and
beg or bribe a professor or a scientist for dial-up access at 128 baud.
At that time there was no IANA, no ARIN, not even any concept like DNS
but people figured out how to communicate, even if they had to type the
routing tables in by hand every time they turned the computer on.

The internet is hard and fastly integrated in to most peoples way of
life.  Society needs it.  The internet is not going away, no matter
what.  People WILL find a way to have internet.

I agree there will undoubtedly be "a jillion v4 nats"..  but people will
learn to deal with it.
Routing tables will be huge..  people will find a way to pay for the
hardware to handle it..

Re-sale of IPV4 space will happen, unless ARIN see's fit to break things
down to /28 or smaller allocations.. I don't see that happening.  The
centralized admin overhead would be enormous.  Regardless, when IPV4
routing becomes a valuable commodity people will find a way to profit by
it.

IPV6 only networks will be able to connect to the internet.  Some
enterprising company will figure out a way to offer a commercial
IPv6-IPv4 gateway to non-IPv4 networks and make a profit from it.

As with all times of crisis someone will figure out how to solve the
problem and make a profit from it.

Kevin

$s/worry/happy,g