[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Thu Mar 15 10:07:16 EDT 2007

At 8:37 +0000 3/15/07, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>In my version of this thought experiment, the ARIN region quickly
>realized that roughly 90% of their infrastructure was capable of running
>IPv6 with only a software upgrade so they did upgrade. Problem solved.

What I am hearing and experiencing is that this isn't happening.

No one has a goal of using IPv6.  I've never gotten a budget request
approved "just to update the technology."  No matter how trivial or
cheap, change costs something, and more significantly, represents
risk.  A lot of the lessons I learned involved the introduction of
10BaseT on a government campus, i.e., it's been a while.  Have
accounting people become that much more friendly to IT?

It has been said that it is human nature to only respond when it's an
emergency.  This is stated as if this were a bad thing.  For
business, they react appropriately according to importance, and the
layer 3 protocol they use pales compared to the revenue generating
activity they are supposed to pursue.  Sometimes, you shouldn't react
until the last minute - see queuing theory, the later you can delay
picking a server the better a decision you will make.

>In my version of this thought experiment, I finally got permission to
>attend the ARIN meeting 50 years from now after showing my boss my new
>certificate of proficiency in Chinese.

Funny you mention Chinese...

>People who indulge in this kind of thinking are generally unilingual and
>are unaware of how language issues affect Internet architecture. The
>centre of the English language Internet is unlikely to shift. The centre
>of the French speaking Internet wobbles between Canada and France. The
>centre of the Chinese speaking Internet is squarely in Asia. And so on.

There isn't an "English" Internet or a "French" Internet.  Besides
that goal of  One Internet, the language of business is
international.  (To wit: in a Taiwanese movie ("Yi Yi"), the
Chinese-speaking father had to entertain a Japanese-speaking business
partner at dinner.  The scene was in English - I don't mean to say
English rules, but in this case, it appears completely out of
cultural context.  The director, Edward Yang, could have had the
scene in Mandarin but even he left it in what would have been the
language used.)  There may be a center for a language, but the
Internet is a tool for global commerce too, not just expatriate clubs.

This is why I am concerned that we might otherwise be left behind
without a push.  Of course, all of my concern is absolute conjecture.