poorly thought out HTTP/1.1 mandate

Clayton Lambert Clay at exodus.net
Thu Sep 7 19:15:55 EDT 2000

Large ISPs are as much a part of the Internet as webhosting entities.  Your
argument doesn't make sense.  The policy clearly indicates that HTTP1.1
hostheaders be utilized WHERE THEY CAN BE. This mandate is critical and its
necessity can be seen in the example of webhosting; one web hosting device
(one physical box connected to the 'Net) may inefficiently burn hundreds of
IP addresses. What for? most the time, these addresses are 'given' to the
webhosting customer to establish some solidity and a barrier (configuration
complexity) for exit to a competitor.

 The policy also allows for cases where non-HTTP1.1 compatible protocol
utilization is required.  I think this policy change is a huge step in the
right direction.  I also think that your argument that large ISPs utilize
some format of efficient configuration in order to conserve dwindling IP
numbers.

Clayton Lambert
Exodus Communications