Search Engines/IP restrictions/policy changes

Clayton Lambert Clay at exodus.net
Thu Sep 7 18:40:23 EDT 2000

There are several web-systems vendors that are working on methods to handle
SSL and other traditional non-HTTP1.1 compatible protocols, via load
balancing devices.  I am not implying that we should force webhosting
providers (or other services-providers) into vendor-specific solutions.  But
I think it is important to support the idea of host-header compatibility.
Customers of webhosting providers typically "own" the URL, not the IP
address.  The URL is something that can be utilized in embedded programming
and it allows for scalability and modification of infrastructure that is not
otherwise available if the IP address is embeded into software (as an
example).  And for the webhosting provider that indicated (in a previous
email) that I was biased against the webhosting community, please realize
that I am very neutral with respect to these policy discussions.  In fact,
the concept of URL based services-hosting is somewhat detrimental to my
company's core business: Colocation.  Think about it, if you base everything
on names, it is no problem (effectively) for you to leave my company (as a
colocation provider) and for you to go to one of our competitors.  If you
are embedding (or even just implementing large, complex hosting solutions)
IP addresses in your configurations and infrastructure, or even
software...You are going to be MUCH more inclined to remain at my facility.
So, be assured that my perspective on this topic is very much fucused on the
idea of conservation of usage.

Clayton Lambert
Exodus Communications