Search Engines/IP restrictions/policy changes

Mark maxiter at inetu.net
Wed Sep 6 14:47:56 EDT 2000

Ted hit the issue right on the head, although, as he pointed out himself,
there are issues beyond those he mentioned.

SSL, FrontPage, FTP, and search engines will all have problems with
name-based hosts.  These, however, are probably the easier of the problems
to address.

What resolution is there for the hosting providers to use other network
devices for proxying, load balancing, rate-shaping, and other QoS issues?
These are large scale and extremely significant issues that may
significantly undermine a web hosts ability to effectively conduct
business.  Not to mention, these devices become much harder, more time
consuming, and quite possibly more costly to update than other services
such as FrontPage and FTP.

Closer to the heart of the problem may be web hosts' limited
representation at ARIN policy meetings.  This policy, no matter how good
or bad it may be, did not come from ARIN the organization, it came from
the voting members of ARIN.  If web hosts want to see a reversal or
revision of this policy, then they must represent themselves in ARINs
coming policy meeting this October.

Mark Rekai - INetU, Inc.(tm) - http://www.INetU.net
Electronic commerce - Web development - Web hosting
       Mark at INetU.net - Phone: (610) 266-7441