transfer policy

Kim Hubbard kimh at arin.net
Mon May 15 09:49:51 EDT 2000

Well, one reason we ask for utilization of the addresses is so that if it's
not being utilized efficiently (or at all which is true in some cases) we
can ask for it to be returned or traded for a smaller block.  There have
been quite a few cases where a /16 was transfered with a network consisting
of 300 hosts.  We always try to talk the organization into getting a
smaller block but we don't have the authority right now to demand they do so.

It's also important that we know the organization that's receiving the
addresses knows exactly what they have.  With all of the consolidation
going on it's clear that a lot of organizations don't even know what
they're buying.  They have no idea how addresses are being utilized in some
cases so by asking for utilization it helps everyone in the long run.

Kim