NEWDOM: Re: Funding IP Allocations

Stephen Satchell satchell at ACCUTEK.COM
Mon May 5 19:21:33 EDT 1997

At 2:52 AM -0500 5/5/97, Philip J. Nesser II wrote:

>The current fee structure is based on estimates of a two million dollar
>yearly budget and using current allocation parameters.  And before people
>jump in and start screaming about the budget amount.  It is currently an
>estimate and a real one will be presented as one is prepared.  I will note
>that a then very anti-ARIN list member tried to do an independent budget
>and came up with about $2 million do to a quality job.  I don't know if he
>is a supporter or not now, but I don't think he believes the budget is
>unreasonable.  (I think it was Stephen Satchell (I am sorry if I massacred
>the spelling of your name or got the wrong person)).

Right person, right spelling.  Gold star, Phil.  As for my orientation, I
was never "Anti-ARIN", just concerned about the size of the fee for
membership and for registration.  Still am in the case of the former.  In
the case of address registration, I'm in favor of doing what happens all
the time:  let the people who directly benefit from the service pay for the
service.  No subsidy.

>The infrastructure fund has been collected from DNS registration, as well
>as current funding for IP allocations.  Since NSI has no responsibility to
>continue funding this function after their agreement expires next year,
>this subsidy is going to go away no matter how much it would be nice for
>ISP's if it didn't.  It is just a cost of doing business.

Any time you have a manager of a "scarce resource" there will be costs
involved.  Those costs will be passed on to the ultimate user.  The idea is
to keep the costs as small as possible without compromising quality to an
excessive degree.  This is why I'm one of the people asking to see a
straw-man budget, so (because this is "ours") we can see how the money is
currently earmarked.

Satch

---
Stephen Satchell,{Satchell Evaluations, Motorola ISG}
http://www.accutek.com/~satchell for contact info
Opinions expressed are my own PERSONAL opinions.