Global council of registries???

Justin W. Newton justin at EROLS.COM
Fri May 2 12:48:04 EDT 1997

At 03:57 PM 4/28/97 -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Rudolph J. Geist wrote:
>
>> It is highly suspicious to maintain that technical information (or any
>> information for that matter) regarding the allocation of IP address
>> blocks, a finite public resource (like telephone numbers or radio
>> spectrum), should be held proprietary by a monopoly outgrowth (ARIN) of
>> another monolpoly (Internic).
>
>First, ARIN is not a monopoly, it is a non-profit organization that will
>be run by its members and eventually funded by its members.
>
>Second, did you consult with the members of the USIPA before making such a
>shocking statement? For instance, would Erol's be willing to publicly
>disclose all the details of its network connections including all of its
>downstream customer networks?

I can answer this one.  No.

As a side note, I find it frightening that lawyers for trade associations
are making statements without consulting with their constituency.

Justin Newton
Network Architect
Erol's Internet Services            http://www.erols.com
ISP/C Director at Large             http://www.ispc.org