Let us all bend over, apply the Vaseline...

Mike Gaddis mikeg at savvis.com
Thu May 1 10:10:36 EDT 1997

Bob Atkins wrote:

> I can't believe what I've read....

> What we are talking about is maintenance of a simple database. And
> the maintenance as it turns out will be performed predominately by
> the ISPs themselves. The registry doesn't even have to operate any
> significant number of systems but even for argument's sake suppose
> they need to run say 10 servers, a T1 to the 'net. Facilities, a staff
> of 5-8 etc. At *most* the annual budget would be $500,000 and that
> would be allowing for some pretty generous salaries.

I have my own doubts about ARIN but your response shows considerable
lack of reasonableness regarding costs of operation.  When budgets are
fully burdened $500k is pretty lean at best.  $3M doesn't seem
out of line (look at what the DNS returns amount to...).  The fees are
also
reasonable as long as the *service is EXCELLANT.*  There-in lie my
concerns
about monopolistic control.  Let's see an operating plan that insures
that 80% of all funds are feeding operations and I'm Ok with it.
(Thats phone coverage of about 18 hours a day with few busy lines
and personnel who are maximally responsive to member ISP needs...)

Hell, they'll probably need $3M for legal expenses alone ;-)

> No doubt with ARIN's $3M budget there will be some very well
> compensated individuals. Non-profit doesn't mean that individuals
> working for the organiztion have to make reasonable salaries.

As a capitalist I'm OK with it as long as I get great service.  People
need to be incented.  High salaried people need to have accountability
though, this is clear.

> I would be glad to bid on providing the services that ARIN will and we
> would provide them for a *fraction* of what is being proposed. We will
> be efficient and properly staffed with the necessary expertise. But of
> course the IP registery didn't come up for public bid, did it?

Well, good point there...  I hope your comments are not sour grapes
stuff,
I'll assume not.

> Please advise if a class action lawsuit has been filed against this
> obvious monopoly, ...

Well, you are making the argument for $3M again ;-)