The latest

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 26 13:30:36 EDT 1997

> On Thursday, June 26, 1997 9:23 AM, Jeff Williams[SMTP:jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com] wrote:
> @ Jeffrey A. Williams
> @ DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
> @ Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
> @ Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
> @ E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
> @
>
> Jeff,
>
> You have to put all of this in a package to understand
> what is going on.

  Ok.

> J.D. Falk is now[1] with Priori Networks. They are a
> new ISP. Priori is like most new ISPs, they need IP
> addresses to be able to offer their customers something
> more than connections and IP addresses from their "upstream
> provider". They understand very well how much it costs
> to renumber. I am sure their potential customers also do.

  Hummmm?  I was not aware of J.D. Falks involvment with
Priori networks.  No was he very forthcomming with that info
and his potential intrest here.  This could be viewed
as a possible conflict of intrest in respect to the
discussion here.

> Michael Dillon[2] is also with Priori. Michael was one of
> the supporters of the IAHC and one of the people that
> helped to convince everyone how bad monopolies are
> and that registries should be "shared". I guess he is not
> concerned that ARIN appears to want to have a monopoly
> on North America.

  I do remember Michaels strong possition in favor of
the IAHC perposal, which is withering away nearly as
we speek here.  Not only is the ARIN getting a monopoly
in North america, but South america and canada as well
If I am not mistakin?  But I am not sure that this
is necessarly a bad thing short term.  I do believe
that within the Trade zones is where currently this
managment of IP addresses should fall, but as the
need increases for IP numbers, this may not hold.

  Michael Dillons sudden change of hart however is
a curious matter.  But understood in this context that
you discribe here.  Michael, any comments?

> Michael Dillon is also one of the people that spent an
> enormous amount of time telling new ISPs that they
> should NOT expect IP address allocations from the
> InterNIC and should "go to their upstream provider".

  Hummmm?  Yes, I do remember.

> Michael Dillon was also one of the people that
> helped develop the material on the ARIN web site.
> See....http://www.arin.net/arin_faq.html

  I was not aware of this!  Very intresting!

> NOW...things have changed...Michael, J.D. and Justin
> Newton have a new company and THEY need IP
> addresses. As you can see below, Michael can't
> wait until he can pay to get his ARIN membership.

  I see where there is a potential conflict of intrest
from these fellows here as to their real motives, possibly.

> In theory, the formation of ARIN should not change the
> rules about how ISPs obtain IP addresses. Justin
> Newton has recently suggested that the rules be
> rewritten. Justin used to be with Erols and they were
> located in the Virginia area and had an ample supply
> of IP addresses. Now Justin finds himself in a new
> company without IP addresses.

  Ahhhh!  I see.  Well to tell the truth, I am about
to find myself in the very same possition with a new
regional ISP we are putting together.  Maybe is should
look at IPv8, huh?  Your thoughts on that Jim? Privately
if you prefer?

  But again it is intresting that Justin would make the
comments that he does in this light.  VERY intresting!

> This situation will be interesting to watch. I have
> argued that companies should be given a "short-form"
> application to obtain a /18 allocation with the
> understanding that they can not fragment it. With
> this approach, blocks are kept together and if a new
> company goes under a large block is reclaimed.

  Yes, I do remember you mentioning this befor.  I
agree.

> At the present time there does not seem to be much
> effort to reclaim blocks. For example, an ISP in the
> Chicago area with a /16 (old Class B) recently went
> under, their block will probably be lost in the shuffle.
> This is a waste of resources and it is a shame that
> companies have to spend all of their time and energy
> jumping through hoops to obtain IP addresses when
> blocks are wasting away...

  Yep.

> Hopefully, Michael, J.D. and Justin will now change
> all of this...they have a reason to...their business
> depends on these changes...

  I see more clearly now!  Thanks!

E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com