Forcible reclamation?

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Tue Jul 8 12:22:35 EDT 1997

On Tuesday, July 08, 1997 10:30 AM, System Administrator[SMTP:wimsey at rtci.com] wrote:
@
@ On Tuesday, July 08, 1997 10:03 AM, Jim Fleming [SMTP:JimFleming at unety.net]
@ wrote:
@ I myself work for a ISP in NC, we have in use over 90% of a /18, we are
@ multihomed a t3 connect direct to sprints backbone, and a t1 to another ISP
@ which is in turn connected to sprint for address space, the problem however
@ is the fact that we are stuck using nonportable address for sprint, should
@ we change providers, we get stuck with a large amount of renumbering.  I
@ don't mind the renumbering so much, its more along the fact it takes
@ forever for sprint to assign us new blocks, and the fact that our blocks
@ are spread all over the place.   I have seen plenty of complaints about the
@ growth of routing tables, you things like this contribute to routing table
@ growth.  I guess the main purpose of my reply is the fact that I WOULD
@ definatly sign anything you would put in front of me to get a continuous
@ block of portable addresses.
@
@ David Wimsey
@

Thanks for the comments....

Firstly, let me say that I think that it would be good if
the world could hear, first-hand, more of the stories and
descriptions of people's plight as above. Maybe one of the
things that ARIN and other such organizations will help to
do is make it OK for ISPs to describe their situations
without the fear of reprisal they have had that they will be
black-balled from allocations.

Secondly, I think that change will only occur if people
become organized. Yes, I know that ARIN is proposed to
be such an organization, but it is clearly an organization
of the same people that have controlled the resources in
the past and nothing is likely to change to help ISPs.
Instead, ISPs need to organize to form their own versions
of ARIN or to get their own organizations to handle the
same tasks as ARIN.

Thirdly, IP address allocations are not rocket science.
They are not that much different from domain registrations
from a DNS point of view.....IF, there is a simple policy
that allows a clerk to make the assignments WITHOUT
subjective evaluations. The people in charge of allocations
want to keep the subjective part because they earn their
living making those subjective judgement calls. This should
not be surprising.

Fourthly, ISPs (and large carriers) that already have IP
allocations are not going to help other ISPs to obtain the
resources they need to compete with the existing base.
Again, this is natural and should not be surprising.

Given all of these factors, ISPs face an up-hill battle.
The U.S. Government may be able to provide some
relief, but in my opinion, the best way to obtain relief
is to work together, organize yourselves and make your
demands known. Network Solutions, Inc. is clearly
organizing ARIN (or has organized it). You might want
to launch your own equivalent of ARIN.

@@@@@ ftp://www.sec.gov/edgar/data/1030341/0000950133-97-002418.txt

"the Company has incorporated a not-for-profit organization named
the American Registry for Internet Numbers (the "ARIN") to administer
IP addresses for North and South America and parts of Africa."

@@@@ http://www.saic.com/publications/news/jun97/news06-02b-97.html

"WASHINGTON - The General Services Administration (GSA) Federal Systems
Integration and Management Center (FEDSIM) has selected a Science
Applications International Corporation (SAIC) team to provide Global Information
Infrastructure (GII) Gateways to 20 African countries under the Leland Initiative."

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation